Monday, February 9, 2009

"Cut Own Hair" gland

For the fourth time in Audrey's life, she has cut her hair. She did it yesterday, but I didn't even notice until this morning. Her cute little bob is now a bob with lots of bangs. I was so mad. I lost it. I feel sort of bad now as I replay a conversation we had yesterday. It went like this:

Audrey: Mommy, would I be cute with bangs?
Mom: Sure, but I think your hair is just perfect the way it is.
Audrey: Whitney said I would be ugly with bangs.
Mom: Well, I think you would be cute even if you had green skin with pimples everywhere!
Audrey:(yelling into another room)See Whitney, Mommy said I would be cute even with a green face and pimples!

I thought the conversation was funny, and that I was reminding her that she is special no matter what. I am sure the seed I planted yesterday was squashed this morning when I was so upset. I swear she must have an overactive "Cut own hair" gland. Do you think there is a medication to tone this gland down?

All the other times before this, she has blamed it on someone else. This time she has noone to blame, not even a pretend tiger:

5 penny for your thoughts:

greta said...

that poor little girl... i just have to laugh though. i must see some pictures of her new hair do. maybe you should buy one of those dolls that you can cut their hair. or, maybe you should encourage her to become a hair dresser... :)

Kelli said...

I cut my own hair several times... but I don't know what to tell you. Maybe hiding the scissors is the only way. I'm not sure. I know I grew out of it eventually though. Good luck!

Laura said...

Wow, if she's cut it four times, maybe she's just still trying to find the right "look". :0) I don't know, every once in awhile I still get sick of my hair and start cutting...and it always turns out to be a mistake!

Elder Beech said...

I figured out this morning that she also cut Maddie's hair! I am angry, and I think it shouldn't be too much to expect an 8 1/2 year old to keep away from the scissors!

Amy Kelsch said...

I can completely relate! Kyle cut Natalie's hair about 2 years ago. We had to cut it really short. It is just barely growing out now. Since then he cut his hair (to the scalp) and tried cutting Natalie's hair again with nail clippers. We keep reminding Natalie to not let Kyle cut her hair. It's okay if he looks freaky. He has no one to blame but himself.