Monday, March 2, 2009

Scout's Honor


Lately, our Saturdays have been full with many activities (especially scout stuff). Brandon is usually so good to just go out and do his part and not complain. Last Saturday, he was disappointed that his plans of hanging out in his pj's all morning were disrupted by the scouting for food activity. When this weekend looked pretty clear, I thought it would be funny to tease Brandon about his Saturday plans. I told him that he had to work the breakfast shift at the soup kitchen, and that he would need to be ready to go at 5:30am. He was sort of disappointed, but was willing. I forgot to tell him that it was a joke. Early Saturday morning, he was laying on our bedroom floor playing around. I asked him what he was doing (because I had forgotten all about my joke). He said he was worried that he and daddy would be late to the soup kitchen, but didn't want to bother us. He is so good to serve, and set an example to those around him. I felt so bad that I had forgotten to do the punch line of my stupid little joke. I told him that he would receive blessings for his willingness. Later that day, he got to go shooting with his dad. And in the evening, a group of friends invited him to go skating! It ended up being a better day than he had planned. I learn from my kids everyday. I just needed to write down this experience. Brandon has taught me so much, and I only hope I can have such a willing heart to help others!

1 penny for your thoughts:

Mike and Carrie said...

What a sweet boy. You're a lucky mom.