Thursday, April 16, 2009

My latest read

Uprising Uprising by Margaret Peterson Haddix


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I have always enjoyed historical fiction, and this is another great one to add to the library. My grandmother grew up in the 20's and 30's in NYC. She was always so proud of her ability to work, to receive a paycheck, and to be noticed for a job well done. As a young girl, I never really "got" that. I figured anyone can work if they want, and everyone gets noticed for a job well done, etc. As I have grown up, I felt like I understood this perspective a bit more. However, this book really painted a picture of what my grandmother's girlhood would have been like. The sentiments of the people, the different societal groups, and the views of womanhood. The characters in this book are about a Russian Jewish immigrant, an Italian immigrant, and a wealthy New Yorker. Although my grandmother was none of these (she was the daughter of Irish immigrants), I felt like I was seeing her life in a new light. If she were still with us, it would be insightful to hear her feelings about these events and how they were portrayed by Haddix.


View all my reviews.

1 penny for your thoughts:

Lexi said...

I enjoyed the book too- how horrifying to be locked in with no way out! I can't even imagine. Did you look at the link at the back of the book? It was interesting to look at pictures from the day of the fire- so sad.